Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Culture Shock

Parents visiting for Christmas. Dinner at my favorite local restaurant, Les Artistes, which if you'll remember is run by one man. A very sarcastic man.

My dad, after eating his first course: Care, how do you say, 'I liked it a lot?'

Me: Well, literally, you would say, 'Je l'ai aimé beaucoup.' [Writers' note: Actually, I think it may be better in the imperfect, 'Je l'aimais beaucoup.']

Dad, wonderful Texan accent in full force: Je l'ai aimé beaucoup. Je l'ai aimé beaucoup.
Man comes to table.

Dad: Je l'ai aimé beaucoup.

Man (in French, but translated here): Oh, you like me? You LIKE me? That's great! Oh...wait...you liked IT. Oh, how sad. I thought you liked me.

Dad, red: Care, did you tell me to say the wrong thing? I think you sabotaged me!

Me, protesting.

Man returns to table with the main course, which for Dad happens to be lentils and Toulousian sausage.

Man: Now, be careful when you tell a Frenchman that you like his sausage. He may get the wrong idea.

Me, translating. Tyson, laughing.

Dad, red.



(I love you Dad! And I swear, I didn't sabotage you!)