Friday, February 26, 2010

Well you're dirty and sweet...Look back...And I love you...Dir-ty!

Each Thursday evening for the past few weeks, I have been walking to a squat located in my neighborhood. It's a place where people without other places to go sleep. It's a place where singing groups and aspiring artists and dance groups can practice their respective arts in relative comfort. It's a place where a group called Radis Rose comes together to sing rock and pop songs from the 50s-80s (after partaking in a convivial hour of wine-drinking, naturellement).

I have a friend who is in the group, and after attending one of their concerts at a bar, I decided that this would be a fantastic way to practice my French, to exercise my constant desire to sing and dance, and to meet people. And so I've been doing all of the above.

It's a group that welcomes everyone. It's not about elitism. It's about the fun. It's about the art. It's about learning. This is not to say that the members are not serious about what they do, but just to say that with them, being in a choir is about joy and not about stiffness, as I know many choirs are.

And so I've been brushing up on my Four Tops, my Irving Berlin, my Wilson Pickett, and my Beatles and learning anew Joe Dassin, Adriano Celentano, and Gérard Blanchard. And I've been surprised by French versions of "I'm so excited" ("Je suis excitée" doesn't carry quite the same meaning here) and "Bye Bye" (the French version of "My Guy," whose meaning is completely opposite to that of the original). And my pronunciation of Franglais is really getting better too!

So, with no further ado, get "radis" 'cause here they come:

Radis Rose- Get It On
Radis Rose- Rock Amadour

(These are rehearsal versions.)

1 comment:

erin said...

Oh, I want to do that too.