Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'll Take a Generation Love Plate with a Side of Generation Party

It's been quite some time, I know, and I fully intend to enlighten you as to my whereabouts, my doings, and my hullabaloos. Since I last posted, the parents have visited France (Howdy!), I've rung in the New Year with a fair bit of champagne, I've been to England, and I've seen a naked French man onstage. (It was theater, people. Nothing more.)

I don't have time for a full update at the moment, largely because it's 1 a.m., and I'm due in bed. I start teaching on Monday, so tomorrow will be filled with the joy of writing a mini-lecture and getting my class materials together. It's been hectic here, what with the teaching prep, working on a paper for a workshop, and taking care of all of the enrollment business for French classes (which will be two nights a week, starting the week after next). Yesiree, busy indeed. But more on that later.

For now, I will just say that in France, I tend to get two types of mail:

1) Useful Numbers sheets: At least once per day, I get a sheet of telephone numbers telling me how to reach emergency plumbers, hospitals, police, laundresses, tofu-grillers, and banister-shiners. All very useful. And they (whoever this nameless, faceless "they" is/are) feel the need to tell me precisely how useful repeatedly. I guess if I need those numbers, I can rest assured that I can go to my mailbox, and there will be a new reminder. But what if I have an emergency lost-postbox-key? What then, useful numbers?

2) Pamphlets for local sushi restaurants: I have no idea how many of them there are, but it's starting to seem like a lot, and they all have names like "Club Generation Sushi" and "Neon Space Sushi Club." And only in France will you get a "California Foie Gras Roll" and a "Goat-Cheese Chive Maki." I love sushi, but I'm very afraid.

If I one day wake up, and all the useful numbers are for take-away sushi joints, my head might just explode. But Tyson will know where to go to have it emergency-replaced with a cooked tuna maki wrapped with scrambled-egg. (Yes. I kid not.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So Stephanie and I saw Julie and Julia last night. Have you seen it? It has lots of French food in it, and wonderful French accents. I suggest you check it out, and then cook something. Bon appetit!