Monday, September 7, 2009

SPQR SPQP[aris]!

Today I am victorious.

I successfully procured a French cell phone. Because their pay-as-you-go plans require frequent use, and I am as-of-yet unaware of anyone else with a French phone, I think that this will consist of sporadically texting myself little notes of encouragement (Aujourd'hui, vous sentez comme un fraîchement lavés rose. "Today, you smell like a freshly-washed rose." Votre voix chantée est plus beau que d'un troupeau de chèvres dans les Alpes suisses. "Your singing voice is more lovely than a herd of goats high in the Swiss Alps.")

I sent my Visa papers off via registered mail (not as easy as it sounds, considering the French postal system, which is quite efficient but thoroughly perplexing to a foreigner).

Tyson and I purchased a coffee pot for jus de chausette ("sock juice" - otherwise known as drip coffee, American-style).

AND least trying, but much more exciting, we discovered a Kashmiri restaurant near our house. It's cute looking, relatively inexpensive, and offers free delivery. They have pichets (oh, one day I will have to write a post dedicated to the miraculousness of the pichet - a jug of the house wine that is much cheaper than bottled wine and often just as good), and I'm eying all kinds of goodness, from dal bhaji to rogan josh to oh-so-delicious halwa. Now all I need is a place that serves Saturday morning poori.

The plan tonight: sit along the Seine with some bottles of wine, chat, and people watch with a group of people from the H-France list (a listserve for people who study France). It's a beautiful sunny day with a gentle breeze. Perfect for a dress, some drinks, and some evening-time water-watching. And allow me to tell you how much I love the lack of open container laws here. At most, the police may ask you to but the bottles in a bag, but in general, no one minds drinking in public. It comes as no surprise that a country that has been imbibing the nectar of the gods for thousands of years would recognize that sometimes people just want to sit outside and enjoy the last few cool days of summer with a few plastic cups of vino.

No comments: