Sunday, October 11, 2009

Something other than food.

I've been sick for the last few days, and it's not showing much sign of relenting, despite the copious amounts of hot beverages and sleep that I've been indulging in. Amongst all that time spent at home, unsurprisingly, a fair bit has been spent at the computer, and as a result, I've come to share some of the recent finds.

First up, Revel in New York, which is a site dedicated to the many interesting characters filling the streets of the Big Apple. I started with Pigeon Lady, continued to the Tea Blender, moved on to the Foot Model, and I've been working my way through all these intriguing people since.

It really is quite amazing how many interesting people one encounters in big cities. Living in Hyde Park often made me forget just how many different professions and options there are out there. Even thinking about the short amount of time I've spent in Paris, I can count having met travel writers, radio DJs, wine sellers, Brazilian musicians, students, anarchists, novelists, and Little House on the Prairie fans (apparently a childhood classic for French people who are now in their thirties). And ll this in a country where it's considered rude to ask one what one "does" for a living! The world is a cool place.

Second, I've constructed a Wordle cloud (one of my favorite online thingmahoozers) for the latest piece of fiction I've been working on. No more details about the fiction, but I thought the cloud was cool enough to share. If you know anything about the Enlightenment, you can tell from this cloud that I'm into the eighteenth-century (although please note the significant absence of bodices and ripping):

Wordle: 18e

Click on it for a bigger view if you so desire.

Third, I've been enamored of Charlotte Mann's continued coolness. If you haven't gotten to see her previous Sharpie-drawn interiors, you're missing out, but I came across these new gems while browsing around the internet. I would be terrified of the permanentness of the marker, but if you're as awesome as Charlotte, this is such a cool (and cheap!) decor idea. Take some time and look around on her site if you like these images. Cool stuff.







Now, back to drinking hot concoctions (ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, clove, honey, and water) and reading semi-trashy but very amusing fiction (the second of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels).

No comments: